September 3, 2003...
The Friends of Resaca Battlefield, Inc, working in close conjunction with the Gordon County Board of Commissioners, has secured an additional 65 acre tract of land on the Resaca battlefield.
The property was used by both Union and Confederate troops during the War Between the States. Prior to the battle of Resaca in May 1864 the area was known as Camp Wayne and served the South as a troop staging and training area. After the battle Union forces converted the site into a railroad fortification complete with entrenchments and artillery emplacements.The fort remained occupied by Union forces after the war until 1868.
Fort Wayne was purchased by the Gordon County Board of Commissioners at the urging to the Friends of Resaca, the majority of the funds coming from previously allotted Greenspace money. The remainder of the funds came from grant applied for by the Friends of Resaca through the Center for Civil War Living History headquartered in Virginia.
"This is a tremendous moment for the Friends of Resaca," said Keith Beason, the preservationist group's president. "We have worked hard to save more than 500 acres of the battlefield through the state of Georgia, now we are continuing to move forward through a strong relationship with our local authorities. I can't thank the Board of Commissioners enough. They have a rare understanding of the need for historic preservation."
"The first shots of the battle of Resaca were fired from that fort," stated Ken Padgett, Friends Vice-President. "It has great historical value because it is the only surviving entrenchments to be built by troops of the Georgia Militia. All other such sites throughout the state have been lost to development. Later, the site was greatly improved by occupying Union troops. Today it features some of the most pristine artillery emplacements in the southeast."
The Fort Wayne project is one of several that the Friends of Resaca has in mind to extend their preservation efforts in Gordon County. "It is our hope that this is a beginning," Beason added. "We want to preserve a variety of sites locally that will attract tourism to our community and will protect historic sites for the education and recreational enrichment of those living here. It's all about quality of life, really."
Photos of the site will be added to this website soon.